The Hack-a-post challenge is not only to improve society but to find new and novel ways to build new services using postal assets. Not to attempt to alter the existing services of bpost.
bpost is trusted by the citizen, this is why Belgians open the door to their postman
Neutrality, safety and privacy respect are very important for bpost employees and
All suggested activities cannot interfere to these principles
Postmen & Rounds
~12.000 mailmen ensure ~10.000 rounds every day and serve over 4.3 million
Households & Enterprises
- Postmen have a great knowledge of their local rounds, and are aware of local habits.
- Concretely, a postman delivers mail and parcels in a trusted, professional and friendly manner, but also picks up parcels, brings /makes cash payments, checks identity and registers signatures.
Postman may also perform easy technical installations, short surveys & observations.
- Thanks to the Mobile Device (Android platform), postmen can take a picture and scan
a bar code. Some are also equipped with credit card payments terminals.
Because of their neutrality, postmen do not sell things at the door.
Postmen activities at the door or in the house are mostly relevant for short term
periods (1min to 10 min)
bpost can transport:
- Both small and large items, Ambient or cooled.
bpost is also focusing on:
- City deliveries,Evening / week-end deliveries,Same day deliveries.
- Large fleet (~6k cars, ~300 trucks, ~2.6k bicycles & ~1.7k motorbikes): over 600 000
km per day.
- Trucks fleet includes long-haul transport through Belgium and mid-size trucks for
transport within cities.
- Fleet has in itself build-in sensors such as kilometres, GPS or temperature.
- Beyond these possibilities, sensors –passive or with power plug- can be installed in
- Postmen are the driver the cars/bikes/trucks.
- ~13k red mailboxes equally spread throughout the country
Mailboxes being standalone, added sensors cannot have access to power.
- Call centre performs inbound and outbound calls in Dutch, French and German.
Printing & Scanning
- High volume printing facility for transactional documents
- Also electronic and archiving
- Scanning: facilities for integration in total solutions